These are my number 5 priority things, to think about when stretching.
1. Do it at least 30 minutes a day to see results. If you want to achieve something, you can’t just do it once a week and expect results. You have to do a little every day and you will see a difference in no time!
2. Stretching is not the most comfortable thing to do in the beginning, it can be slightly painful. To make the pain go away, you could do things while your stretching. Watching TV, checking Instagram, reading, studying- whatever you like. When you start stretching, your body is most likely not used to be bent in those positions, with other words, you are not so flexible. It means that it can be a bit hurtful at first; which of course will go away in the meantime. This is what I mean with “painful”. You still have to be very careful and listen to your body. It should not be too painful and make sure you don’t hurt yourself.
3. Always warm up before you start stretching. You will get better results if you are warm. On a daily basis, I always start doing my strengthening exercises first and then the stretching part. Doing it this order, makes my body warm when I start to stretch. It increases blood flow to your muscles and makes them more flexible. It will be easier to get more flexible, faster.
4. Increase the time you are holding the stretches, once you get comfortable doing them. You can start by doing it for 30 seconds, 1 minute and then, after awhile, you can even hold it for 2 minutes.
5. Start by trying to manage the splits. You have to start somewhere, right? Side and front split are great to be able to do, especially as a ballerina. It makes it easier to lift your legs and increases the turnout in the hip.
I hope you found these five tips helpful, if you have any questions- don’t hesitate to leave a comment or contact me through Instagram. Good luck with your strecthing!